Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Seasons...

Life has been very busy lately, filled with exciting activities, constant action. School takes up most of my time, music fills in the cracks, and the leftovers are spent in a variety of ways.

I have began teaching Science and Math to Secondary 3, and I love it. Of course, my Secondary 4 class are still MY students, near and dear to me from all the time I have spent with them over the first few weeks of school covering various subjects.

Soon I am going to take on Secondary 1 and 2 oral Math and Science classes and I really look forward to it, although I will no longer be in the Secondary 4 classroom even half as much as I used to be, what I have become so accustomed to. I have nothing to complain about, really, because the younger classes are certainly easy for me, and although I have loved ERC it definitely makes my job simpler to just teach two subjects to several classes all day.

Last night I found my old Algebra book...actually, it is my sister's old book, mine was in bad condition, so my parents got her a new one. I fingered it lovingly and opened it. Inside I found a paper with notes in my dad's handwriting. I gulped. Brushing aside any further thoughts that were outside the realm of mathematics, I eagerly paged through the first few pages to see what I needed to be covering with my Secondary 3 class. Recalling suddenly that I needed to more importantly be brushing up on what Sec 4 and 5 is doing, my fingers flipped ahead. It all seemed so familiar, but like an echo from the past, too distant to recall the exact procedures and details. Then it came over me, a flood of emotions, like an incoming tide breaks on the shore, dropping the seashells on the sand as it leaves just as soon as it came...the algebra was too complex and overwhelming and I needed my dad. I knew I knew it already, but I just needed him to refresh my knowledge, to hold my hand, to tell me he was so happy I was teaching his favorite subjects and to assure me I would excel at it.

As I write the gray clouds cover the window's view of any blue sky or sunshine. The rain they hold back seems to spill over in my eyes. Blinking fast I glance up...Secondary 4 is away at French, Secondary 5 is working in a group at English and with a sigh of relief I observe no one sees me holding back the emotions choking me inside.

Last year was so depressing at times. Ever since June 24th I have felt so bubbly and free inside. Grief behind, my world bright and cheery ahead of me, the sun shining warmly upon me. Every time I have been tempted to feel discouraged I have dug deep inside and found a bubbly brook of joy running through for me to tap happiness and smiles from. Even now I am tapping into it, but in the moment of overwhelming sadness and the emotion from the reality of a missing father, it seems out of question and beyond reason to think of tapping into that spring of joy.

But deep inside that spring still bubbles. It refreshes. The source is not earthly in any way. It is eternal and can only be the Savior. As I type I am listening to a beautiful song I love enjoying as I fall asleep at night, or whenever I need a stilling of my soul... Here are the lyrics:

What can take a dying man and
Raise him up to life again?
What can heal a wounded soul?
What can make us white as snow?
What can fill the emptiness?
What can mend our brokenness?
Brokenness

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is the power of the cross


What restores our faith in God?
What reveals the Father's love?
What can lead the wayward home?
What can melt a heart of stone?
What can free the guilty ones?
What can save and overcome?
Overcome

It's a miracle to me
It's still a mystery
It's a miracle to me
The power of God
For those who believe

-Chris Tomlin
Arriving,Mighty Is The Power of The Cross

Be encouraged! We serve a mighty God who loves and cares for us in every way :)

(First click on the pause button on the music player on the side streaming 30 second previews of my favorite Jars of Clay songs, before you play the movie before...or it will be confusing noise to say the least!)

"Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD;
may your love and your truth always protect me."
-Psalm 40:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment...Thank you!