Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Milestones

First steps, first words, first day of school: all these are premiere events, milestones, in a child's life.

I remember after my father passed away, worrying about how I would get through the first year as I faced the "firsts"... First Thanksgiving without him; my First Birthday without him; even the small things like when I had the priviledge of leading my first youth worship team. I remember looking up and expecting him to walk in at any point, even though it was 11 months since the day he had passed away and I had grown accustomed to him not being around.

Two months after my father went to be with the Lord, my family began attending a church. On August 31, 2008, we walked into Madison Baptist Church. I was scared, nervous, insecure. I carried guilt from mistakes I had made that I wouldn't relinquish to the Father's forgiveness. I was withdrawn and shy.

I was met with open arms of love like I have never seen in my life. My family was taken in and treated like we were family there. We found joy in serving and using our talents, whatever they may be, for our church. My brother Benjamin mans the mixer every Sunday and does an amazing job: it's just so encouraging to see him back there in the sound room doing what he loves to do. I love my church family so much: they are such an encouragement and blessing to me.

Now, a year later, I am beginning my first job outside the home as a teacher. As I type, my secondary 4 students are busy writing at their desks, their heads bowed over their papers, hardly a noise to be heard above that of my fingers on the keys of my new netbook. The bright room is filled with the sunshine streaming in the window and the tension from my first moment as a teacher seems to have melted away as I look over my class of nine amazing students I look forward to teaching.

A new life has begun...a new milestone every time....

With every curve in the road, every new view, one things remains constant: God's faithfulness. We serve a God who never changes.

And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD: Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall. My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me. This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.

-Lamentations 3:18-27

1 comment:

  1. dear little pilgrim pal
    you don't know how proud i am of you and little montreal girl!
    all that you went through when your dad stepped into heaven and all the seemingly menial jobs you did to earn money and to help out your family and all of the little verse cards you made and which you were never ashamed to give out to the unsaved!
    the lord has taken notice of this and he has rewarded you by giving you this job that you truly love and for some reason he has rewarded the children that are in your care with two teachers who will not only teach them their a b and c's but will insruct them in knowledge of the lord
    god bless you and have a blessed lord's day you sweet girls.....love mrs. shirkie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment...Thank you!