Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Writing...

My cousin Jordan e-mailed me this morning while my students were busy doing math. "Mayday!!!" was part of the subject line and I smirked. I just spoke with my aunt Sunday night, and she told me that her son needed help in English and he might call me for advice. This must be it, I thought to myself.

He needed help understanding what Robert Frost meant in one of his extraordinary works of poetry. The line was certainly intriguing and I helped my cousin as best as I felt I could. He was very grateful and we proceeded to discuss writing, my class, and other things school related.

Jordan then shared the following writing with me. I was so impressed by his masterpiece I asked his permission to share it here with my readers, specifically my students. Jordan will be 16 years old this November and has done an amazing job at creating the feeling I would love my students to channel through their writings.

The Mercedes accelerated up the hill with exploding speed. It had just been washed and waxed and was gleaming with its illustrious scarlet red finish. However, it was no time to be looking at the exterior of this magnificent machine, it was what lied under the hood that was more worthy of notice. Its V8 engine was pumping a mixture of nitrogen and gasoline into its firing pistons. As the spark plugs ignited this dangerous mixture, the Mercedes raced through the test track at over 100 miles per hour. The fusion of gases was the first of its type. This super fuel made the vehicle go 0-60 miles per hour faster than it had ever done, while achieving excellent fuel efficiency. If you are wondering what car this is, it is a Mercedes CLR racecar.

This was a trial to determine if racecars could use this highly volatile blend of explosive gases. Until this time all the cars they had experimented on had either exploded or simply not turned on. Instead with this efficient machine everything was running smoothly.


Okay, so there are a few mistakes there, but this is better than what I have seen from some of my students who I think are just not trying hard enough. I think I am going to give this to my students to edit, just so they can learn how to edit and what to look for in writing. I just wish journals class was more often than it is!


Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you
-Proverbs 4:6

2 comments:

  1. dearest little pilgrim pal,
    i have not forgotten you, really!
    i have for the last few weeks been very busy with my aunt marion.
    she went to be with the lord last saturday but her funeral wasn't until thursday.
    we have tried to be with the family as much as possible.
    i did write you an email letter but maybe you didn't receive it.
    my new email address is terry.shirkie@gmail.com

    i read this wonderful writing of your cousin and my it is just so good!!!..just lip smacking!
    i think that jordan has a great future ahead as far as a writer is concerned and you are such an encouragement to him little pal...
    keep up the good work little teacher marm!
    i love you and don't forget to give the little montreal girl a hug for me....love mrs.shirkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Shirkie,

    I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Thank you for commenting so much on my blog :) and for all your encouragement! I have added some music now...not your style I am sure, but I think my students might like it. The song "Work" is such a great song, and you would probably love the original "All My Tears"...search it on youtube.

    Love and Prayers,
    LPP

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment...Thank you!